Monday 28 October 2013

My Thoughts

Transformation of Communication via Social Networking 

When given the challenge for this individual project, I approached it like any other assignment with trepidation and a degree of concern of possible failure if I did not complete the assignment, or the subsequent consequences that will follow thereafter. This assignment was not like other projects that I’ve encountered. The fact that this course incorporates Social Media as a medium in the classroom to successfully communicate was not just a new course overall, but one which I don’t have that much pragmatic experience with. Also in addition the course, which is laid out to encourage students to actively engage with a few common Social Networking sites is actually quite brilliant. Given the fact that many students like myself and other young people live and breathe on social media these days, the course explores the potential of social media as a business avenue, marketing resource and a virtual ‘corner soapbox’ to speak freely on a wide range of topics. 

      

The lecturer Kayode James suggested that we use Facebook, Blogger, Pinterest, Twitter, Youtube, Instagram and other social networks to embark on the assignment. In addition to incorporating my personal Twitter and Facebook accounts and balancing my other responsibilities, it was somewhat difficult to manage all the required social media in terms of either adding or monitoring regularly added content. I can strategically manage two additional Social Networking sites. And for this reason I’ve decided to create a Blog and Facebook page to discuss Trinidad and Tobago popular street food. To that same extent, I did not want my assignment to be a chore but more than a positive career transition. I used it as a platform to share my personal interest on food and more importantly use it to hone my skill as a freelance writer and include material as a portfolio for a prospective career in Media. Since this course is an online course, an online class ‘community’ was created and we were inspired to support and connect with each other. Given that I am a new comer within the blogging sphere, I was able to effectively connect with other online writers, bloggers and active social media users all over the world that shared the same interest. It is indeed quite fascinating to know that so many people can expressively read your work, share similar ideas or beliefs and even comment or provide feedback. This bolstered me to be even more creative and more willing to share my thoughts and ideas socially.  

2 comments:

  1. Lovely approach, but bear in mind that you now have a social and historical obligation.

    Social - too many people use social media for promoting negativity, false claims, hate, gossip and bullying . At no other time in history is the 'pen' more powerful than now. Just consider how easy it it for something to go viral and the scope at which it does.

    Historical - as with your focus on food, try to engage readers with traditions, history and the evolution of the subject.


    Happy cooking

    Chris...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much appreciated on your words of advice and inspiration. I know that I have a long & steady road ahead of me. By one post, one meal at a time!!!

    ReplyDelete